Sunday 14 August 2011

Blimey

Here begins the musings of a novice beekeeper on what's gone on in the hive and other stuff as takes my fancy. Partly as a record of what I've done, as I've got a memory like a collander, partly to announce some achievements to anyone out there who's interested/listening.

Today I am Mr Smug from Smugville as I have just finished spinning off the first honey we've had from any bees for 3 years! With two assistants, both aged under 4, helping/marring the process at various points and having begun slightly too late in the day, so being under the gun for their bedtime, then I don't think I've done half bad. Thanks largely to the assistance of my long suffering wife and her family in spinning children while I span honey.

I'm going to leave it there for now for my first post, don't want to peak too soon, eh? Do bear with me on all the usual stuff you see on online journals (blogrolls and hitcounters and suchlike) while I get used to doing all this.

b.

Queens Log Beedate Sun 14 Aug:
Hive 1
- loads of bees, happy queen with a white blob,
- one wet super with a feeder of their own uncapped honey
- Honey est - 25lbs :-)
Hive 2
- some bees, no sign of the queen (no flag either, could be at Windsor)
- no super, just brood box and queen excluder
- Honey - est 8-10lbs

7 comments:

  1. Great stuff! I have been picturing you today with the littles helping... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hurray! - im looking forward to reading some honey based recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @gythagirl - yeah, helping/dipping/poking :-)
    @colouritgreen - Heck, no pressure then? ;-) I've always fancied having a go at that balaclava myslelf. Requires making that mad flaky pastry though doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to have bees and honey...

    Will keep watching :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Callie.O - could check out your local bee society? All of the fun and none of the responsibility :-).
    Am in process of joining ours in the autumn, will be a post about that in due course...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bee envy, honey envy - good luck with the Bees and the Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Ian and Luis - I promise to appreciate them :-)

    ReplyDelete